East Sustainable Operations Manager
WeWork is currently seeking an individual to work on projects and programs across the area of Sustainability & Wellbeing (S&W), within the East Building Operations Team. This individual will be responsible for conducting research, collecting/processing data, preparing educational and reporting materials, coordinating events, and generally promoting and implementing sustainable and healthy practices throughout WeWork’s building operations in East. This individual will be a part of a global team of peers working in concert to implement global policies and roll-out of technologies, as well as taking individual initiative to address regional and local regulations and opportunities.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Report to the Head of Building Operations for East, and informally to the Global Head of S&W.
- Coordinate employees and members within the region to support the roll-out of sustainability initiatives
- Lead efforts to reduce critical environmental and health impacts in your region, in the areas of waste management, water conservation, toxics exposure, and assist with energy conservation.
- Create and implement a suite of regional/local sustainable operations policies and procedures that are aligned with company-wide goals and metrics.
- Data analysis for sustainability and health-related corporate reporting and measurement programs.
- Stay informed of local/regional regulatory and technical developments in the sustainability industry
- Work with cross-organizational teams to establish and implement training programs, internal educational newsletters, and other training material.
- Lead the creation of member-oriented sustainability & wellbeing network-building and programs.
- Create and maintain ties with regional stakeholder organizations: government, private, non-profit, sustainability groups
- Co-create policies that are aligned with business best practice, environmental legislation, as well as targeted at the end user and fit for purpose with in the community. Ensure regular review of policies, ensuring changes in local regulation/practice are considered.
- Support the Development team from an operational perspective, ensuring the learnings from previous buildings are clearly communicated during design process.
- Partner with vendors that can support the annual sustainability targets.
Expectations for the role
- Ensure the WeWork core values (Tenacious – Grateful – Entrepreneurial – Together – Authentic) are being embedded in the day to day working process
- Ensure sustainability becomes a habitual way of working, rather than a process or tick list staff feel they have to complete.
- Ensure consistency of messaging and brand for internal and external audiences, aligned with the communications team, brand team and the S&W team, across all platforms.
- Ensure regional executives are clear on baseline performance, progress and targets.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field; Master’s Degree preferred.
- 5+ years of related experience, ideally with 2+ years of experience in a corporate sustainability program.
- Understanding of sustainability concepts such as the circular economy, power purchase agreements, recycling behavior design, biophilia, construction waste management, and life cycle analysis.
- Experience successfully interacting with professionals working in manual trades, custodial services and other hands-on jobs.
- Ability to influence and to work cross-functionally in support of sustainability team objectives and goals.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills and outstanding relationship building skills at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- Strong quantitative analytical skills, problem-solving, and ability to assess the quality of others’ work, particularly quantitative work.
- Results oriented with an ability to operate multiple projects. A self-starter with superior organizational skills.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment, and effectively manage and meet multiple, simultaneous deadlines with minimum assistance while maintaining a sense of humor.
- Fluency in English
Who you are:
- Someone who is ready to get their hands dirty
- Gets happy and excited that no two days are the same
- Loves working with numerous people day to day
- Never take yourself too seriously