Netflix makes up 1/3 of internet traffic, and we're proud to deliver entertainment that over 100 million global customers enjoy. Behind the scenes, Netflix is delivered by Open Connect, a custom-built content delivery network that connects our content to thousands of ISPs around the world.
Decisions on how to improve streaming performance for our customers and evolve Open Connect's architecture are driven by data. We're looking for someone to transform petabytes of incoming data on video performance and network efficiency into well-designed, high-quality data structures that empower critical decision-making for teams within Netflix.
We track every customer action and each byte of data transferred, so you'll work with data at incredible scale and collaborate with best-in-class data engineers and analytic experts. You'll become an authority in the world of video streaming delivery (no prior knowledge necessary, but curiosity to learn is a must), and the projects you'll work on will be truly impactful.
What you'll do
- You’ll take ownership and increase automation of the complex data that drives the highly visible ISP Speed Index, a site publishing Netflix streaming speeds for ISPs across the globe.
- You’ll implement anomaly detection techniques to surface metric shifts on datasets with dozens of dimensions with high cardinality.
- Every video or audio file you stream from Netflix started as a file living on an editor’s hard drive and became a Netflix-encoded asset sitting on a server ready to be played. You’ll create the data pipelines that will let us quantify and understand that life cycle by merging system activity and customer behavior.
- We need to process data more quickly than ever to enable rapid experimentation in an increasingly nimble engineering organization. You’ll help implement our business logic to be compatible with real-time/stream processing frameworks.
- Autonomy in managing cross-functional engineering projects
- Distributed data processing at scale (Spark, Hadoop or AWS)
- Programming experience manipulating and analyzing data (Scala, Java or Python)
- Large-scale storage and retrieval (Hadoop, ElasticSearch or Druid)
- Strong collaboration with analytic partners, domain experts, and other consumers of your work, preferably in supporting an engineering or product function
Our culture is unique, and we live by our values. You will need to be comfortable working in the most agile of environments. Requirements will be vague, and iterations will be rapid. You will need to be nimble and take smart risks. Learn more about Netflix’s culture.