Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
About the Role:
Uber is looking for adaptable computer vision/machine learning experts who are not afraid to get their hands dirty with real world issues to work on impactful problems. We are looking for folks who have a good balance of theoretical knowledge and programming expertise. You will be rubbing shoulders with world class scientists and engineers, looking to revolutionize transportation. You will get a chance to use your skills to solve some of the toughest problems in the geo-spatial domain using state-of-the-art compute infrastructure and tools.
Do you live on the edge between research and engineering, especially in areas like machine learning and computer vision? Do you like not just inventing new algorithms, but seeing them all the way into devices that move through the real world?
We’re looking for people who have the following characteristics:
- Fast learner. We’re looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the fast pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
What You’ll Need
- Masters, with a PhD preferred.
- Expertise with computer vision and/or machine learning, especially deep learning.
- Interest in applying machine learning & computer vision to resource constrained devices (such as mobile phones)
- Interest in Android development (with experience preferred)
- Ability to whiteboard some theory while at the same time rolling up your sleeves and get coding.
- Understand research papers and be able to translate the ideas into efficient code quickly.
- Data oriented - i.e. be able to set up experiments to measure things that will in turn drive decisions.
About the Team
As part of Uber’s larger sensing effort, we are building new capabilities that will allow us extract valuable bits of information from imagery and sensors. This will have a direct impact on both riders and drivers by helping them connect faster and get to their destinations more efficiently and safely. The Video Intelligence team is responsible for developing state of the art computer vision and machine learning solutions to analyze real-time image and video data, and deriving inferences that directly drive efficiencies across the company.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.