At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
About the Role
A successful candidate will have exceptional automotive functional safety expertise, and an ability to formulate new strategies based on core principles of traditional/standard safety practice. They will address safety in the complex world of self-driving vehicles, and grow as a subject matter expert. Responsibilities will include authoring functional safety work products for system elements, and refining vehicle-level safety case artifacts. This candidate will apply tried-and-true analysis methods to evolving architecture and highly complex software system.
About System Safety
The System Safety team within Uber ATG is charged with ensuring that, at every stage of development, our self-driving vehicles are demonstrably safe when operating on public roads. We also hold primary responsibility for establishing durable specifications that will guide the integration of self-driving technology onto the Uber network at global scale.
Our safety experts apply analytical skills and expertise throughout the product development lifecycle. We work with software engineers, hardware engineers, test teams, and external partners to efficiently deliver the appropriate level of assurance for on-road, highly automated systems.
Successful candidates will
- Be knowledgeable about fail-operational system architectures and safety-critical system design and validation processes
- Be well-versed in automotive functional safety standards such as ISO 26262 and SOTIF
- Have the professionalism and concept mastery required to blaze a trail where clear industry or regulatory guidance does not currently exist
- Be comfortable in environments with technical diversity and parallel development paths. Experience within a startup, focused research initiative, special project group, or other non-traditional engineering environment is highly desirable.
- Have significant experience working on sophisticated, safety-critical software systems
- Have a track record of participating in, influencing, and/or leading well-tailored safety processes
Prior experience may include
- Building novel safety cases and concepts for sophisticated automation, robotics, vehicles, and/or other cyber-physical systems
- Making/defending smart judgements and policy regarding residual system risk
- Training engineering teams and building relationships in support of safety processes and culture
- Adapting traditional standard safety processes to unique new technology applications, e.g.,
- Self-driving vehicles, highly automated driving
- Unmanned aerial vehicles, drones
- Wearables, biomechatronics
- Exposure to multiple industries (e.g., automotive, nuclear, aerospace, defense, medical) and the applicable standards/principles therein, such as EC 61508 (Functional Safety), DO-178 (178B or 178C - Safety Critical Software in Airborne Systems), Systems Theoretic Process Analysis (STPA), Radiation Safety “As Low As Reasonably Achievable (ALARA)
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it’s not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.