We’re changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we’re a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it’s a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that’s just what we’re doing today. We’re thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we’re in for the long haul. We’re reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
The Rider team at Uber is responsible for accelerating demand growth across 400+ cities worldwide. The Data Scientist - Rider role will provide the data expertise as we drive towards enhancing growth and deepening engagement. In this position, you will offer a data-driven perspective and work closely with product, engineering, and marketing. You will be on the forefront of analysis and leverage our data sources to propose new ideas related to every area of our product, including quantifying the value of riders, exploring trends in user behavior, and optimizing features via experimentation. Our team's autonomy gives us the flexibility to focus on the highest-impact projects in this dynamic and challenging role as we bring increasing numbers of users onto the Uber platform.
What you'll do
- Leverage data to perform intensive analysis across all areas of our business to drive product development
- Design experiments and interpret the results to draw detailed and actionable conclusions
- Generate ideas for exploratory analysis to shape future projects and provide recommendations for actions
- Perform time-series analyses, hypothesis testing, and causal analyses to statistically assess relative impact and extract trends
- Build models to enhance understanding of user behavior and predict future performance of cohorts
- Create dashboards and reports to regularly communicate results and monitor key metrics
- Present findings to senior management to strengthen business decisions
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams across disciplines such as product, engineering, operations, and marketing
What you'll need
- Minimum 4 years of experience in a quantitative analysis role
- BA/BS/MS in Math, Economics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, or other quantitative field (advanced degrees are a plus)
- Excellent SQL skills and the ability to use tools such as Python, R, Excel, or Tableau to work efficiently at scale with large data sets
- Advanced knowledge of experimentation and statistical methods
- Ability to deliver on tight timelines and move quickly while maintaining attention to detail
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to execute on decisions
- Self-driven with the ability to work in a self-guided manner
- Superb communication and organization skills