We’re changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we’re a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it’s a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that’s just what we’re doing today. We’re thinking about the future, too. With teams working on new modalities, self-driving cars and even urban air transportation, we’re in for the long haul. We’re reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.And that’s just what we’re doing today. We’re thinking about the future, too. With teams working on new modalities, self-driving cars and even urban air transportation, we’re in for the long haul. We’re reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
We’re looking for an experienced data scientist on our Rider Data Science team to help elevate the growth, efficiency and user experience for our core Rider products. This role will provide the data expertise as we drive towards enhancing growth and deepening engagement. You will be responsible for developing actionable analytical solutions, optimizing features via experimentation, and productionizing models in a scalable manner to help bring a consistent, dependable and affordable experience to both rider and driver partners. In this position, you will offer a data-driven perspective and work closely with product, engineering, and marketing. Our team’s autonomy gives us the flexibility to focus on the highest-impact projects in this dynamic and challenging role as we bring increasing numbers of users onto the Uber platform as well as grow Uber’s footprint in transit marketplace.
What you'll do
- Leverage data to develop analytical insights across all areas of our business to drive product development.
- Design experiments and interpret the results to draw detailed and actionable conclusions
- Build production grade models on large-scale datasets to enhance product experience by utilizing advanced statistical modeling, machine learning, or data mining techniques.
- Leverage models to help areas such as understanding user behaviour, predicting future performance, enhancing pickup/dropoff experiences, and shaping the future of core Rider product.
- Leverage large scale data processing such as Spark, Hive, and Uber’s proprietary machine learning platform, and more.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams across discipline such as product, engineering, operations and marketing.
- Present findings to senior management to strengthen business decisions
- Translate data-driven learnings into actionable insights.
What you'll need
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a data scientist at a company with global operations
- MS or PhD in Math, Economics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, or other quantitative field (advanced degrees are a plus)
- SQL skills and the ability to use tools such as Python, R to work efficiently at scale with large data sets
- Advanced knowledge of experimentation and statistical methods
- Experience in modeling and machine learning
- Working knowledge of big data technology (Spark, Presto, Hive) is a strong plus
- Self-driven with the ability to work in a self-guided manner
- Superb communication and organization skills
- Balance attention to detail with swift execution
- Passionate about Uber
About the Teams
The Rider team at Uber is responsible for accelerating growth and deepening engagement across 700+ cities worldwide. There are several sub teams within Rider, including Core Rider Experience, Rider Growth and Shared Rides. The Data Scientist's role will provide the data expertise as we drive towards enhancing growth and deepening engagement.
[Core Rider Experience]
The Rider Experience team is responsible for the underlying functionalities of the app that enables rides for million of people across the globe. The data science team is in charge of one of the biggest dataset in the tech industry and uses models and ML to improve the rider experience across several dimension: product recommendations and personalization, optimal pick-up and drop-off locations, multiple modalities.
The Rider Growth team at Uber is responsible for accelerating demand growth worldwide. As a data scientist on the Rider Growth team, you will provide data expertise as we drive towards enhancing growth and deepening engagement.
Shared Rides team focuses specifically on creating a magical experience for Shared Rides product (e.g. Express POOL). The Data Scientist's role will provide the data expertise as we drive towards elevating the growth, efficiency and user experience for Shared Rides products.