We’re changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we’re a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it’s a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that’s just what we’re doing today. We’re thinking about the future, too. With teams working on new modalities, self-driving cars and even urban air transportation, we’re in for the long haul. We’re reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.And that’s just what we’re doing today. We’re thinking about the future, too. With teams working on new modalities, self-driving cars and even urban air transportation, we’re in for the long haul. We’re reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
Uber is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead a team within our Core Infrastructure group. As a manager within Infrastructure you will have a significant impact on the evolution of Uber's backend teams and architecture. Our mission is to make transportation as reliable as running water, and we need people who are excited to build the dependable foundation that supports that vision.
Uber Infrastructure is comprised of several key areas:
- Compute: Job scheduling and containerization; Docker, Mesos, Aurora.
- Storage: Globally replicated data stores; MySQL, Cassandra.
- Networking: Software-defined traffic control and RPC frameworks; Golang, Zookeeper, gRPC.
- Performance: Distributed systems, tracing, profiling, system performance; Golang, Java, C++
If you have a strong preference for a particular area please note that in your application. We also encourage generalists to apply.
This is the opportunity of a lifetime for a highly skilled infrastructure leader.
What you'll need
- You have great interpersonal skills, deep technical ability, and a portfolio of successful execution. If you enjoy discussing anything from kernels to datacenters and you measure the success of your projects in "nines," then we want you on the team.
- Undergraduate degree in computer science or equivalent.
- Management experience running backend infrastructure team(s) at scale.
- Hands-on software development experience. Code shouldn't scare you.
- Great written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to lead, inspire, and grow excellent engineering teams.
- Experience planning projects, and the wisdom to know when to shift priorities amid a rapidly changing business environment.
- Ability to assess new technologies and make pragmatic choices that help guide us towards a long-term vision.
- Open, curious, and bold approach to problem-solving and striving for the best solution.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.