We’re changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we’re a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it’s a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that’s just what we’re doing today. We’re thinking about the future, too. With teams working on new modalities, self-driving cars and even urban air transportation, we’re in for the long haul. We’re reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.And that’s just what we’re doing today. We’re thinking about the future, too. With teams working on new modalities, self-driving cars and even urban air transportation, we’re in for the long haul. We’re reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
Uber has become an integral part of people's lives and it is critical that the systems that power the platform are always available to everybody in the world. Uber continues to expand into new cities and its growth and popularity present interesting challenges for managing the change in scale with the pace of innovation. We are looking for leaders who will guide us through this phenomenal growth helping their teams to deliver on principles of robust distributed systems to resolve operational challenges, while enhancing developer productivity and maintaining operational simplicity.
You will be helping to build, mentor and grow your team, while increasing the efficiency of their efforts to achieve reliability goals for the organization. Your team will have a healthy mix of both software and system engineering skills, while maintaining a steadfast focus on: attaining cent percent uptime, ability to scale with ease, minimizing latencies and maximizing efficiencies.
What you'll do
- Provide leadership for a team of engineers who own the reliability goals of uptime, scalability and performance.
- Recruit, hire and close candidates to build your team with the right skills and diversity.
- Develop a team mission, roadmap, clear objectives and milestones to motivate and ensure accountability for delivery on the business' needs.
- Support personal and career development of your team through active coaching, mentoring and aligning opportunities with skillsets.
- Foster trust & alignment across teams to collaborate effectively across teams and partners to achieve Uber's goals.
- Drive excellence for reliability through maintenance of SLAs, efficient process, relentless automation, engineering reliability back into applications and maximizing performance.
- Dive deep into availability, performance and scalability issues/outages for services and provide technical leadership for immediate and proactive resolutions.
- Architect, review, develop and deliver applications to improve availability, scalability, performance and efficiency of Uber services.
- Manage on-call rotations and provide inputs to your team and partners to sustain SLAs.
What you'll need
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline. Equivalent practical experience is a reasonable substitute.
- Experience with managing multiple teams or a team of at least 5-8 engineers
- Experience with Unix/Linux environments with a deep grasp on system internals
- Worked on large-scale distributed systems including multi-tiered architecture
- Demonstrable knowledge of TCP/IP, HTTP, application security, monitoring and storage
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.