Are you excited to design software solutions that continuously delight tens of millions of customers across 190+ countries around the world? Do you have a passion for addressing the scale that comes with processing billions of requests daily? Are you driven to create elegantly simple designs for tough architectural problems and inspiring others to do the same? If so, we would love to talk to you!
The Playback Access team at Netflix is looking for an experienced, passionate, and self-motivated engineer to help us build the systems that enable secure access to the Netflix content. Our team develops Netflix’s cloud-based device and user authentication and content access systems. Through collaboration with the security engineering teams at Netflix, you will design distributed systems that implement security solutions for device and user authentication. Our systems are in the critical path for the Netflix service, so we must design them to be highly scalable and resilient to failure.
To be successful in this role, you must have excellent distributed systems software development and DevOps skills, and excel in a highly collaborative and cross-functional environment. You must be curious about current technologies, judicious in how you apply them, and be a quick learner who shares learnings with your stunning colleagues. Ideally, you will have experience with security technologies and applications such as TLS, cryptographic key exchange and user and/or device authentication.
- Address complex architectural problems with simple, intuitive design
- Work at all phases of the development lifecycle (design, implementation, deployment and support)
- Collaborate effectively with teammates and technical partners
- Communicate technical ideas in cross-functional settings
- Take end-to-end ownership of major features and components: from inception to operational support
- Innovate rapidly to evolve systems in support of changing business needs
- Utilize test-driven development and continuous integration practices
- Have sharp attention to detail and openness to critique through code and design reviews
- Perform opportunistic code refactoring (you are comfortable changing tires on a moving vehicle)
Required Skills & Experience:
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent engineering experience
- 7+ years of relevant software development experience
- Solid understanding of OOP/OOD principles, design patterns and data structures
- Exceptional Java programming skills
- Experience writing scalable web services
- Experience with state-of-the art development tools and techniques
- Experience with cloud-based architectures at scale
- Experience building and deploying applications using Amazon Web Services
- Experience with distributed key-value persistence store environments
- Experience with security concerns / technologies and protocols (SSL, key management, authN/authZ)
- You have worked on and love to solve tough engineering problems
- You are passionate about building distributed, reliable, scalable, performant microservices
- You like to ship and support solutions that you design and build
- You like to move fast, you thrive in a fast-paced environment of innovation and cross-team collaboration
- You are comfortable taking calculated risks
- You are curious about technology and love to learn and grow as an engineer
- You enjoy mentoring and/or helping others develop their skills
- You enjoy working collaboratively with other engineers
- You communicate well, both written and verbally
Netflix is the leading provider of subscription streaming video, reaching over 95 million subscribers around the world. Netflix accounts for over one third of the Internet's downstream traffic during peak hours in North America, and we support more than 1,900 different device types. We have a strong commitment to open source and our software and is used by many companies.
Netflix offers a unique culture that values freedom and responsibility. Do you want to be excited to go to work in the morning? Feel like the work you do makes a difference and moves the business in a meaningful way? Do you want to work with smart people who love to solve the hardest problems Netflix faces? This is the kind of environment that we value at Netflix. High performance is not only noticed but required. Freedom and responsibility aren’t just buzzwords, but how we operate every day. Key values for our team include:
- We value freedom and responsibility and context over control
- We are loosely coupled but tightly aligned with our partners
- We move quickly and work in small, rapid iterations
- We automate mundane tasks
- We love to keep learning
- We get things done
- We have fun!