WeWork’s development department is looking for an architect who can work directly with the internal real estate team, the regional due diligence team and external consultants to oversee the successful due diligence throughout the region. This role is tasked with assessing properties for potential success as a location for our product. The role will involve identifying deficiencies and advantages in base building services and existing conditions, and aid in developing associating costs with bringing systems and conditions up to WeWork standard and/or local code requirements.
This is a great opportunity for someone who has excellent technical and communication skills, has worked with many unique buildings, and can identify issues that the built environment will present when performing a tenant improvement project. Please be willing to travel across your target region as needed. This individual shall have experience at various stages of development including but not limited to due diligence, bidding, contract management, people management, etc.
- Be a Positive Influence - Become a positive influence within your region and beyond by always carrying yourself in a professional manner. Be optimistic and help others do so as well. This applies to our team, our consultants, landlords and other parts of the business. You are a representing the Development team, always be professional.
- Investigating New Markets - The DD architect will be expert at going into new markets assessing and engaging local partners (GCs, AORs, EORs), developing permitting strategy, understanding local code and egress issues, product expectations of the market, etc.
- Preliminary Due Diligence - For standard locations, the architect will perform high level due diligence without external consultants with a goal of eliminating disadvantageous deals without significant utilization of resources. They will work quickly to identify key lease negotiation items for the Real Estate team.
- Full Due Diligence - For long lead locations, the architect will perform in depth due diligence with external consultants with a goal of eliminating disadvantageous deals and identifying key lease negotiation items for the Real Estate team. The architect works closely with the real estate team to execute the lease.
- Identify - Accountable for identifying potential impacts to project budget, schedule, and quality. Leveraging knowledge of WeWork product and local building code, the architect must identify physical or systems infrastructure that will impact the deal negotiations (egress capacity, difficult floorplate, long permitting process, landmark status, exterior wall construction, window size and placement.)
- Assemble - Liaise with the Landlord and Real Estate team to collect base building documentation prior to Gate C release and hand off to final project team.
- Communicate - Espouse excellent and efficient communication skills. Communicate issues to real estate through the due diligence tracker. Create a clear and concise hand-off package for the final project team to perform due diligence, design and deliver a successful project.
- Manage - Balance multiple projects at a time and prioritize workload within the group to ensure that project timelines are met.
- Track - Generate and continuously maintain reporting data for respective projects, reporting to upper management as necessary.
- Travel - Must be willing and able to travel extensively to assess potential locations in the region.
- Reports to the Architecture Discipline Manager
- 8+ years of experience of all phases of the design process from schematic design through the bid process and construction management
- Bachelor's Degree (or higher) in Architecture
- Ability to understand building MEP/architectural plans to assess how existing conditions affect layout and cost exposure
- Make decisions and solve problems on the fly, often weighing up risks and incomplete information to allow a rapid judgement to be made to keep project moving
- Be familiar with construction industry best practices, building & ADA codes
- Be a self-starter, with the ability to work independently in a fast paced environment
- Travel up to 75% of the time
- Passionate about development (real estate, design, numbers, schedules, everything).
- Passionate about collaborating and putting out the absolute best work
- Extremely organized and great at managing productivity