Netflix is the world’s leading internet entertainment service with 125 million memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Our service accounts for almost a third of the peak internet downstream traffic in North America. Netflix is available on more than a 1000 different devices, including personal computers, connected devices, smart phones, tablets and game consoles.
A very important part of the Netflix service is the cloud based media transcoding infrastructure that generates the petabytes of streams and playback artifacts to support the growing content catalog and the device footprint. In short, anytime a subscriber in on the service, they are viewing images and streaming content produced in this media cloud. We have a very large scale, massively parallel, highly available compute farm in the Amazon elastic compute infrastructure powered by our purpose built software to serve the complex media processing needs of Netflix. We are looking for a engineers to improve, scale and automate this business critical infrastructure and work on a innovation platform to allow Netflix to design, test and quickly rollout new user experiences by effectively utilizing available media resources.
You will be expected to drive the requirements for and own large components of the system throughout their lifecycle: requirements, architecture/design, implementation, testing, and launch. You will need to exhibit strong leadership and communication skills, define and successfully execute on the engineering and release priorities in a very agile application development environment.
To be successful in this role, you must be a quick learner, have stellar software development and communication abilities, and work well in cross-functional teams. This is a great opportunity to enhance your cloud computing skills and simultaneously, get familiar with Netflix products and services while making a real impact on consumers globally.
- 5+ years object-oriented experience with one of: Java (preferred), C#, C++, or similar
- Experience with large-scale distributed infrastructure systems and client-server architectures
- Experience with *nix platform (Linux preferred)
- Excellent communication skills
- MS/BS in Computer Science or a related degree
Bonus Points for:
- Experience as a Technical Lead on a complex distributed systems project
- Experience with Cloud Computing platforms: Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google App Engine or similar
- Experience with SQL or NoSQL databases
- Experience with image and video processing
Netflix is a very flat organization and we operate in small loosely coupled, but tightly aligned teams. This role offers a lot of challenges and a great opportunity to impact a global business in a very significant way.