Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
The Chief of Staff & Operations Manager, Communications is responsible for operationalizing the Chief Comms Officer and her team: facilitating and setting strategy and goals, communication across leadership and down into teams, and enforcing execution of aligned decisions. This role will act as an advisor to leadership on cultural and operational needs of the organization, as well as any priority projects that require execution and management support.
The Communications organization is comprised of three teams that work very closely with one another: PR/Media Relations, Marketing, and Experiential/Events.
This role is NY-based and may require occasional travel to our regional offices, particularly Washington, DC.
What you’ll do:
- Lead the operational status of the Communications organization, including team meetings, project management, team workflows, budget, etc.
- Direct and manage administrative, financial, and cultural operations across the division
- Partner closely with leadership across the organization to track ideas and work streams and support leads to make informed decisions.
- Serve as division’s representative to work on collaborative projects.
- Analyze workflow inside of organization - identify successes and pain-points and work with leadership to streamline processes and maximize on successes.
- Support leadership with budget planning and enforcement of budgetary guidelines.
- Use already established resources and gatherings to create transparency around the work that the company and leaders ask of Comms
- Serve as connective resource (communication, project planning, convening for discussion, operations, logistics) between leads and their teams (direct and matrixed).
- Solve department problems, reset workflows, and remove blockers for division’s teams and individuals, especially around work that maps to division’s initiatives and company priorities
- Maintain onboarding and offboarding processes for the team.
- Collaborate with business partner and relevant organization directors to manage staffing programs and initiatives.
What you'll bring:
- Familiarity with our Networks and alignment with Vox Media’s values
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a similar function (Chief of Staff, Operations, Team Coordination, Project Management)
- Exceptional organizational, communication, problem solving, and project management skills
- High adaptability and energy
- Ability to work well under pressure and navigate multiple and competing deadlines
- Familiarity with the communications function (communications, marketing, PR, events)
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.