Twenty years ago Netflix disrupted content delivery by mailing you a DVD for a flat monthly fee. A decade and a billion DVDs shipped later Netflix disrupted content delivery once again and began streaming video on demand. Today, Netflix has become the leading global internet TV service through innovations in content delivery, and we are poised for yet another disruption, this time in content creation.
Our team believes that technology can give voice to stories around the world. We empower a small band of creatives to do what no studio has ever done – tell the stories you fall in love with and stay up watching at a scale that the industry has never seen.
$6 billion. That is the amount that Netflix is spending annually on content and the majority of that is going towards Netflix Originals. How can we produce more content than any studio and ensure that content continues to elicit joy in our members? If it’s possible, the Studio Production Engineering team will be behind it, working with content creators to find a way forward in the unknown.
How can you help?
We are looking for a Ruby engineer to help us build reliable, flexible applications that help our Studio and Production Operations teams adapt to a fast-paced environment.
In this role you will...
- Be product-focused, driving the design, development, and implementation in order to turn a user’s pain-points into simple and elegant solutions that are loved.
- Continuously improve, we are never satisfied with the state of things, it can always be better.
- Partner and communicate effectively with teams you work with.
- Take full ownership of a product or feature from concept to launch.
- Test the software you write to ensure we deliver the highest quality products.
- You have professional experience with Ruby on Rails.
- You have experience designing and developing integration solutions using Web Services (RESTful APIs).
- You have a successful track record of delivering quality results in complex, collaborative projects.
- You have a deep understanding of cloud architecture and application deployment.
- You have the ability to collaborate with users and business partners in order to understand pain-points.
- You have the ability to straddle programming languages and platforms with ease.
Extra credit if...
- You've created a Ruby Gem.
- You’ve used Rails Engines.
- You can explain the GIL to us.
- You are an open-source contributor.
- You have integrated a Rails app with one or more third-party services.
- You have Java experience (for integrations).
- You have used gRPC in a project.
- You have a favorite testing framework… hint it’s RSpec.
A few logistical details...
- This position is located in Los Gatos, CA & Los Angeles, CA
- Remote is not ok.
- We provide relocation benefits.
- We provide visa assistance where possible.
If you have an eye for software design, a mind for asking questions and synthesizing information into actionable work, and the personality to want to learn from and teach your teammates - we would like to talk to you.
Our team includes people of all genders, sexual orientation, mothers, fathers, the self-taught, the university-educated, and people of a wide variety of nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds. Diverse teams are strong teams, and we encourage those with varied identities, backgrounds, and experiences to apply.